The INTERSTRESS project was selected as one of the successful projects in the "European Month of the Brain", an initiative of the European Commission which will take place throghout May 2013.
Link to the offical EU press release: http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_MEMO-13-390_en.htm
INTERSTRESS won the WSA mobile award for the best m-health app:
Giuseppe Riva's interview for the WSA Mobile Content 2.0 Awards, 2013
INTERSTRESS: Interreality in the Management and Treatment of Stress-Related Disorders
The INTERSTRESS project aims to design, develop and test an advanced ICT-based solution for the assessment and treatment of psychological stress.
- Quantitative and objective assessment of symptoms using biosensors and behavioral analysis
- Decision support for treatment planning through data fusion and detection algorithms
- Provision of warnings and motivating feedback to improve compliance and long-term outcome
To reach these goals, INTERSTRESS will use a new e-Health concept: Interreality.
What is Interreality? It is the integration of assessment and treatment within a hybrid, closed-loop empowering experience, bridging physical and virtual worlds into one seamless reality:
- Behavior in the physical world will influence the virtual world experience
- Behavior in the virtual world will influence the real world experience
These goals will be achieved through:
- 3D Shared Virtual World role-playing experiences in which users interact with one another
- Immersive in the health care centre
/Non-immersive in the home setting
- Bio and Activity Sensors (from the Real to the Virtual World)
- Tracking of emotional/health/activity status of the user and influencing the individual's experience in the virtual world (aspect, activity and access)
- Mobile Internet Appliances (from the Virtual to the Real World)
- Social and individual user activity in the virtual world has a direct link with the users’ life through a mobile phone/PDA
Clinical use of Interreality is based on a closed-loop concept that involves the use of technology for assessing, adjusting and/or modulating the emotional regulation of the patient, his/her coping skills and appraisal of the environment based upon a comparison of the individual patient’s behavioural and physiological responses with a training or performance criterion. The project will provide a proof of concept of the proposed system with clinical validation.
The vision is a personalized, immersive e-therapy in which biosensors, VR simulations, and presence allow the ability to detect and manage stress anytime, anywhere are key components of the INTERSTRESS solution. This speaks to the continued call for the active participation of individual citizens in their own health and well-being.
INTERSTRESS is a European-funded project
Instrument: CP - ICT Grant Number FP7-247685